World News

Backpacker got help over Facebook after she was kidnapped and raped in pig shed

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5

A backpacker has told how she got help over Facebook after a hobby farmer kidnapped and raped her in an old pig shed.

Davine Arckens, 24, was abducted after posting an ad to Gumtree in search for temporary farm work in February 2017.

Gene Charles Bristow, 54, originally from the UK, responded and took her to his hobby farm at Meningie, in South Australia, where she was chained and assaulted over two days.



Davine told Channel 9s 60 Minutes she finally escaped after managing to unchain herself and send a panicked Facebook message to a friend.

Bristow picked her up from a bus stop and took her on a disorientating road trip before pulling into the derelict pig shed near his home.

Backpacker got help over Facebook picture: Channel 9 METROGRAB

Davine Arckens has bravely opened up about the attack (Picture: Channel 9)

Gene Bristow

Gene Bristow was jailed for 18 years (Picture: SA Police)

He pulled out a replica gun and threatened to shoot her before chaining her up and returning to his family.

However, Bristow had left Davines laptop and WiFi stick in the shed.

Davine used metal hooks she found in a broken down fridge to unhook her chains before trying to contact friends.

She wrote to a friend: I have been kidnapped in South Australia. Please, Im on a farm somewhere.

He drives a red pick-up. Please help look for me. Please, please, Im so afraid.

I crossed with 2 ferries. Dont know where I am. I got chains loose. Please call police.

Gene Bristow

She was held in an old pig shed (Picture: SA Police)

Fellow backpacker Echo Wang immediately alerted Queensland Police.

But Davines signal died and she had no idea if help was coming.

She told the Australian current affairs programme she was so afraid she chained herself back up.

Cops launched a search and Bristow drove Davine back to Murray Bridge and checked her into a motel when he realised what was going on.

He was ultimately caught and found guilty of one count of aggravatRead More – Source

Related Articles

Back to top button