A ‘bleeding’ plant-based burger is coming to Mildreds restaurant next month, after being in development for more than two years.
The UK’s first ever meatless raw burger to ooze blood-like juices is being branded ‘the most impactful food invention of the century’.
Moving Mountains B12 burger will launch on Saturday 24 February at Mildreds on Dalston Square after UK scientists, chefs and farmers conducted over 100 test kitchen recipes to get the perfect result.
Renowned for pushing boundaries and creating an innovative range of global-inspired vegetarian and vegan dishes that are also popular with the ever-growing flexitarian audience, Mildreds does seem like the logical place to launch this kind of product.
Just because you don’t eat meat, that doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t like the taste of it. And many of Mildreds devotees aren’t actually vegan…or necessarily veggie.
So, what’s in the bleeding burger?
Well, the company says that: ‘Every Moving Mountains B12 burger is 100% raw plant meat, 0% cow and looks just like a regular patty’.
‘When cooked in the pan or BBQ, it sizzles, smells and browns just like the real thing. And just like the very best juicy burger, when perfectly cooked, the Moving Mountains B12 burger bleeds through the middle – with beetroot juice instead of animal blood.’
What's the bleeding vegan burger made of?
It contains 20g of plant protein…
- OysterMushrooms are the base, which maintains the mouth-watering, succulent texture and differentiates the burger from US competitors. It provides health benefits including lowering cholesterol
- Peas provide a source of protein
- Potatoes provide a slightly crispy, grilled crust
- Wheat and soy proteins give a fibrous texture akin to the bite and depth of a traditional burger
- Beetroot juice allows a juicy, ‘bleed’ at the centre of the patty
- Coconut oil provides a fatty, satisfying consistency
- Vitamin B12, traditionally associated with red meats, has been added so that the Moving Mountains burger can genuinely compete with a beef burger and provide more essential nutrients as the burger contains 100% of the RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) of B12
‘“We can’t wait to launch the Moving Mountains B12 burger exclusively at London institution, Mildreds, and let people bite into the future with our plant-based meat,’ says Simeon Van der Molen, founder of Moving Mountains.
‘A perfect fit for us, Mildreds is a fellow British brand that mirrors our ethos and beliefs, focusing on quality ingredients and delivering innovative and delicious food that can be enjoyed by everyone.
‘This launch not only marks a huge leap in innovation for humanity, by allowing consumers to bite into a future that is better for their health & the health of our planet, but also addresses a growing new consumer trend for flexitarian dining. Now Brits can have their meat and eat it without the environmental impact of the animal agriculture industry.
‘Without any compromise on taste, the Moving Mountains B12 burger provides a viable alternative for flexitarians, vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.’
The burger will cost £10 and will be available to order every day between 12pm and 2pm.
Whether you’re a vegan/vegetarian or simply trying to cut down on the amount of meat you consume, it’s reassuring to know that there are plant-based options that taste and feel the same as regular meaty staple.